Monday, June 30, 2008

prayer rooms and possibilities...

last friday i was part of a group of presenters for a united theological seminary intensive week with mike slaughter. i was the last one to speak and my topic was “creating welcoming spaces” it felt really good to be sharing thoughts and photos with leaders who are serious about mission. i met a kindred blogger and designer, jenny smith. you can visit her site @ http://www.journey4610.blogspot.com/ to see photos and learnings from the intensive - great stuff!!!

i shared about one of the spaces we've redesigned this spring, our prayer rooms at ginghamsburg. initially, i had toured u.t.s. and was inspired by their prayer room, seen above with the floor pillows. students had asked for a place for prayer and reflection and were given a closet and $500 to create this customized space.

ginghamsburg, on the other hand, had two designated prayer rooms and no "real" money to make significant changes...so I went to work gathering up rugs, bamboo sticks and street lamps (with flickering bulbs that stay on all the time), mostly pieces we had in our stash.

i'm not done yet but these rooms are taking shape. i want to add a shelf for oil, a prayer box, and communion elements on occasion. I envision a place that draws seekers in – a tranquil space that invites conversation and prayer.

is a designated prayer space important to your community? do you have a space like this on your church campus? what are the challenges making that space inviting?

oh and...i think we’ll be getting a design intern out of this class! her name is rachel and it turns out she designed that uts prayer room. she loves this stuff too...yay~! .

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kim, just found your blog. I love what you do for our God Family Room! It's one of the reasons I have loved the Ark..the peaceful beautiful ambiance, plus the sense of history and call from God that began there in the pictures on the walls. I've used it for prayer and serve there on Mondays now. It touches me somehow. The prayer rooms are of particular interest to me as I pray a lot! I love to find spaces that invite me to take off my shoes, let go of my life, and spend time in intimate connection with God. Not unlike a bridal suite if you can accept that image! But those are structured, decorated and intended to facilitate intimacy. And that's what prayer is about. Maybe we should call them Bridal Suites!Ha!
    I decorate my home in much the same way. With soothing colors, and things that remind me of Him, and how I belong to Him. I often say, you can tell what He is doing in my life by how I'm decorating. I decorate prophetically, ha! I benefit from what God has given you, and I'm thankful. I now go on a monthly retreat at Maria Stein, (which could use your talents...hoo boy!) but the benefits of practicing that discipline is really beginning to bear fruit. I have committed to one year of retreats to see what God does. Don't wait another 12 years! Blessings, Lisa Sowry

    ReplyDelete