Wednesday, March 4, 2009

something's got to go...

i love hearing different people's "new things" for this year, both on this blog and in recent conversations. ash wednesday i really searched for the one thing that i would give up or take on during lent this year. i always yearn for more connection time w/ God but had no idea how to pack that into the already-full days. something's got to go, ya know?

turns out i could give up fiction TV and gain at least an hour a day - who knew? fiction TV for me are the crime shows that i love to watch but seldom remember the next day. sheer entertainment exchanged for listening/reading/journalling/praying time - just for lent, mind you. i'm missing CSI, The Mentalist and Without A Trace... but somehow feeling a little freer to explore different aspects of God's big plan.

what's got to go for you this lenten season?

5 comments:

  1. I give up meat. Seriously, I didn't know it was lent, sad, I know. Strangely, it coincides with the time I've given up big portions. When I sit down to a meal, I can easily eat about 3X's what I should. That's REALLY hard to give up cause both my mind and body are telling me I'm an idiot.
    Might be harder to give up than Fiction TV :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've tried to give up my lunch hour to focus on prayer and hearing what God is saying - I've failed miserably.

    The daily demands of my job have pushed out God at noon and I let it happen. Something's got to go is very hard in this case because in a way, I have forced others into living with my lenten sacrifice.

    As if spending time with God is a sacrifice...oy vey I've got a lot to work on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've given up my 4 o'clock funk. Seems that each day, at about 4, I'm drawn to NPR, food and just generally shutting down.

    I, too, have taken up Brian Brown's teaching about replacing what we give up with a spiritual discipline...and that's been good. I've put myself into some deeper reading that challenges me instead of sending me to sleep and sloth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am giving up whining/complaining and work to be silent or give a positive word. I am sending my viewpoints in positive ways to my political representatives and asking them for action based on positive action based on my principles and values as a Christian. My alternative to complaining about what they are doing. Proactive not blaming... I sure could use any prayers the Holy Spirit might inspire you to give!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris... maybe it's a "practice" more than a sacrifice. i don't know about you but whenever i try to focus on prayer a million other things take up my mind space. i find that i have to write or speak out loud or work on a piece of art in order to pray. i wonder if others are the same way???

    ReplyDelete